Stem Cell Overview
Stem cell therapy development is an exciting area of research that promises the future treatment of many diseases. Since this area in drug development is still evolving, the scientists at Marin Biologic are here to assist you. We can help you navigate through your drug development project and how best to incorporate the different phases of stem cell therapy. Our in vitro assay services based on stem cells and other primary cells, from primary tissues such as cord blood, bone marrow and peripheral blood, can help you better understand in vivo functionalities. We specialize in a variety of hematopoietic assays specific to your efficacy or toxicity studies. Furthermore, depending on your study needs, we can also culture adult or embryonic stem cells and monitor the differentiation markers for your therapy development.
Many scientific considerations are involved with stem cell replacement therapy. Since microenvironment may contribute to stem cell “homing” events or differentiation, our scientists keenly understand why microenvironments are important to stem cell studies. For example, microenvironments can affect culture or exogenous tissue and impact in vitro studies, sometimes leading to less than substantial results. And by carefully considering the potential variations microenvironments, our scientists have taken careful steps to understand the complexity behind microenvironments and have worked to minimize its impact on studies.
Here are some scientific studies we can perform:
- Transfect markers into adult or embryonic stem cells and also those if replacing of specific molecules are necessary.
- Transfect adult or embryonic stem cells with a genetic marker to follow their “homing activities” can be performed prior to inoculation in vivo.
- Develop a delivery vehicle where stem cells can provide “homing activities” for cancer therapy.
- Implement stem cell therapy to better understand replacement therapy for hormone, cytokines, and metabolic intermediate.
- Implement stem cell therapy to better understand diabetes therapy to detect insulin production and glucose levels.
- Develop stems cells that synthesize your therapeutic molecule by initiating differentiation and monitoring specific production.
In order to fully benefit from stem cell therapy, there are many scientific considerations that we address prior to studies. For example, we might ask the following questions:
- What will be make-up of the cell culture of stem cells?
- How will we monitor triggering differentiation?
- How can we expand stem cell cultures to large scale cultures for replacement therapy?
- What methods are best to determine immunocompatibility of embryonic stem cells and of transplant, down regulating HLA molecules in adult stem cells?
The scientists at Marin Biologic Laboratories are very experienced and creative in cell biology and can bridge this field with molecular biology and biochemistry for potential cell therapy and assay development. We have had several clients whom stem cell research was successfully applied for their drug development. More importantly, we seek continual feedback from our past clients and try to build a foundation of best practices to better serve our future clients. If your study might need stem cell therapy, let us be your stem cell research laboratory.
Feel free to contact us if you would like further consultation on these services.